South East QLD based role, Currently available, Aug 2023
This position has now been filled, Thank you for you Interest
Thank you for your interest in the role of Animal Handler / Driver.
We have an current vacancy for an individual to begin training towards an ongoing role as an Interstate Pet Transport Driver and Animal Handler. The role is expected to involve regular interstate travel, most likely to be between Thursday and Monday on the applicable weeks. The following information is provided to give prospective applicants additional insight regarding the role before applying.
Dogmovers is a small family business based in South East QLD & NSW. We transport pets, primarily Dogs & Cats, throughout Australias Eastern States. We operate like a long distance bus service with 8 full time drivers plus support staff operating regular, scheduled services each week and more Specialised services on demand. We operate a fleet of Vans, Light buses and Pet transport trailers relocating over 800 pets and travelling an average of 95,000km per month.
We are seeking to employ a Committed and Caring individual with Demonstrable Driving and Animal Care experience to join our QLD team. This is a demanding but rewarding role. Based at Logan Village, QLD, you would make regular Interstate trips to NSW or Northern QLD, potentially being away for multiple days and nights at a time. You would operate largely independently but with the full support of a wider support team. Whilst this is a Casual position it is expected to involve regular weekly trips and lead to a long term role for a suitable applicant, including:
- On the Job Training and support.
- Working with a Small Family Based Business.
- Growing company within a busy industry.
- Opportunity to Bring your Pet (or Partner) to work
This role is expected to average around 3 trips per month to start with more work expected to be available in the new year and depending on the abilities and flexibility of the successful applicant this is expected to become a long term role with full time income.
Pet Care duties of the job include all aspects of animal care. Primarily feeding, keeping the animals cages clean and tidy and walking the dogs but you will need to be constantly aware of and responsible for the general condition and wellbeing of the animals in your care.
You will be handling a range of animals, mainly dogs and cats but also occasionally poultry and young livestock. It requires an experienced, calm and patient person to handle sometimes nervous animals and the strength and ability to handle large, boisterous dogs. Some demonstrable experience or affinity with dogs and animals in general will obviously be an essential aspect of the successful applicants resume.
While no special license is required, we typically use a range of manual and automatic vans or small buses towing a range of small to large animal float style trailers. It is necessary to have some experience driving larger vehicles and towing and you must be able to drive manual vehicles. The typical length of our Van & trailer combinations is around 11-12 metres long with a weight of up to 4.5 tonnes. This would be similar to towing a small to medium caravan or a horse float. Some basic mechanical aptitude is also useful as breakdowns, punctures and mishaps are inevitable with the high mileage we cover. You will need to be able to handle aspects of such issues and communicate details to support staff. Plus, of course you must be an experienced and competent driver in the City, on the freeway and in country areas both day and night and under all types of weather conditions.
Being Interstate, it is a demanding job involving long days on the road. At times you may be working up to 16 hours per day, which would include up to 10 hours driving and up to 6 hours caring for the pets, customer service and related duties. Depending on the route assigned you will be on the road 2 1/2 – 5 days and multiple nights away from home between Thursday & Monday each week. Typically a full time role would average around 3.5 days away followed by 3.5 days off each week.
Our vehicles and trailers have built-in cages of various sizes to cater for everything from tiny puppies to very large dogs. The number of animals transported on any given run can vary greatly but on our common weekly express services it is usual to be caring for 10-20 pets at a time.
Accommodation is catered for with a bed in the vehicle so that you are close to the animals for the whole trip.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Driving Interstate routes between NSW and QLD, may also include VIC & S.A.
- Customer Service by phone and in person.
- Walking dogs, general Pet Care, cleaning & feeding
- Monitoring & Assessing animals Health & Wellbeing
- Time Management, Daily organisation & Record management
- Liason with other Drivers and Transporters
- Basic Vehicle & Trailer maintenance or trouble shooting.
- Compliance with the guidelines set out in our operations manual, the NSW Animal Welfare Code of Practice for Companion Transport agencies and other applicable regulations and policies.
Qualifications and Experience
We require a reliable, hard working & physically fit individual who will represent our business well, with good communication and customer care skills and who will display a sense of responsibility and passion for the animals in their care. To obtain and excel in this position you will be:
- A competent, confident and experienced Driver.
- Experienced and confident working with animals in areas such as Vet Clinics, Groomers, Pet Resorts, Animal Shelters, Animal Training or with other demonstrable relevant animal experience.
- A reliable, hard working and physically fit individual.
- Able to work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent at time management and multi-tasking.
- Able & willing to be away from home for multiple days and nights.
- Licenced to experienced driving a manual vehicle and have towing experience.
Other things that may affect your Suitability.
We are particular about who we employ for such a role by necessity. Many people are initially attracted simply due to a desire to work with animals, however this can be a demanding position due to the long days and time away from home and it therefore does not suit most people. Many of our current driving staff have been with us for between 7-16 years and we are focused on employing staff we feel will be suited to, and enjoy the role for the medium to long term.
We will consider everyone on their merits however we ask that you be realistic in your expectations of the role. In general we are looking for someone with the following qualities:
- Living in South East QLD. This role is based from our depot at Logan Village. As an interstate driver you will typically only have to get to and from work once a week so you won’t have to be super close. However I would suggest that a 1 1/2 hour drive is about the most you would want to be commuting given the already long work days. You will need your own reliable transport to and from work.
- Mature, at least in mind if not in body. Because of vehicle insurances and the need for suitable driving experience we typically do not employ drivers under 25 years. Any younger applicants will need to display a very solid driving history. Otherwise, provided you are fit and healthy enough for the role age is not a barrier, many of our drivers are in the 45-60 year age bracket.
- Reasonable level of health & fitness. Long days, long periods driving, dietary constraints due to Interstate Travel, Sleeping in the van with the animals and walking large boisterous dogs. These are just some of the things that will at times tax your physical limitations on the job. You don’t need to be exceptionally strong or robust but you need to be very realistic about your abilities and consider any limitations or health issues you do have.
- A suitably flexible home or Family life. The role is generally not suited to a person with young children or who is not used to being away from their partner regularly, please consider this carefully. In some cases even pets at home can be a limitation in the event you, or they would be stressed by an absence. In most cases we are Ok with a Pet travelling with you or even a Partner or family member at times.
- Looking for a long term Role. It will take around 3-6 months to settle into this position fully so it is not suitable as a temporary job. We have drivers and other staff that have been with us for up to 16 years and we take pride in having a low turnover in staff. We place much emphasis on this aspect in the way we view applications.
- A competent, confident and experienced Driver. You will need to be able to drive in all conditions, country and city, day and night, towing a trailer. You will be covering well over 100,000 kms per year. For your own safety, confidence and experience behind the wheel is essential.
- A confident GPS user / Navigator. Mostly we stick to well defined routes that we use regularly with regular pick up points in most towns. But this does vary and the area we cover is immense. You will need to be able to find your way around easily both in the country and in major cities. using a combination of Garmin GPS and Google Maps. (We use Android phones & devices, not Apple.)
- Service Orientated. We have worked hard to build our business through the provision of a superior service and a professional attitude. We can’t please everyone all of the time, but we do try and this needs to be reflected by our staff in their attitude towards our clients and the professional and careful handling of their pets.
- Experience working with and Handling animals. Wanting to work with animals is not enough on its own to make you an ideal applicant. We need someone that is confident with and will care well for the animals in their care and be able to deal with emergency situations when required. Some significant experience breeding, showing, caring for or training animals or a farming background would be an obvious advantage in this respect and preference will be given to applicants that can demonstrate that.
This is expected to be an ongoing Casual position. We pay our interstate drivers a fixed rate, including tax free allowances, for each trip. As a casual position there is no Holiday or Sick leave but normal Superannuation is paid.
While the role may initially be varied as it develops as an indication for the advertised role we would expect an approximate pre tax income for 2.5 to 4.5 days per week of around $900-1800, plus superannuation. We expect a minimum of around $3000 for around 9-10 days per month to start. You would be expected to provide your own food and personal items but all vehicle, equipment and business related costs are paid by Dogmovers.
Hopefully this gives you a better insight into what the job entails and the type of person we are looking for, it is a bit of an unusual role and if you feel it is not suitable given your situation or the type of future role you are seeking, we thank you for taking the time to consider it.
Please note that because of the nature of the role you will be asked questions regarding your age, health, family situation etc in terms related to how they may affect your ability to perform the job.
Whilst interstate travel no longer requires Covid Vaccination you will be asked about your vaccination status and willingness to undertake a Covid test in the event you are unwell with respiratory disease symptoms.
If interested please submit your application along with your resume and a cover letter, via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If, due to the location or timing, this current role will not suit you, but you are interested in hearing about future roles that may become available within our business, please register your interest by sending your contact details and a brief of your life experience to email@example.com and we will notify you of future roles.