The COVID-19 (coronavirus) is having a significant impact on the lives of all Australians. We want to reassure you that we are constantly re-examining our business plans and processes to remain confident that we will be able to adapt as this situation evolves.
Dogmovers operates only throughout QLD, NSW, ACT, VIC & Sth Australia. We have occasional specialty services to the NT but do not travel to WA.
At this point in time our services in all States are able to continue as scheduled despite Border Closures due to freight exemptions at all closed Borders. This is obviously subject to any further changes by Federal or State Governments. It is not expected but is possible that further Lockdowns or Stricter Border controls may result in the interruption of our interstate services at some point. We will continue to analyse the situation and provide further updates as required.
Naturally many people are concerned about whether they are allowed to come and meet us to deliver or collect their pets. The short answer is Yes you can, provided that you are practising social distancing measures.
There is a lot of confusion due to differing announcements from various authorities but generally the following is what you need to know.
These details are from the official order from the NSW Gazette (During the earlier Lockdown) but is generally the same for most States we are operating in.
“… this Order directs that a person must not, without reasonable excuse, leave the person’s place of residence. Examples of a reasonable excuse include leaving for reasons involving— (a) obtaining food or other goods and services, or (b) travelling for the purposes of work or education if the person cannot do it at home, or (c) exercise, or (d) medical or caring reasons.”
There may be further obligations relating to not gathering in groups and practising social distancing.
So, essentially, provided you have a specific reason to leave your home and take precautions to distance yourself from others you are allowed to come and deliver or collect your pets.
In this case the specific reason is that you are obtaining goods & services. If such orders are in place in your State/Area you should travel directly from home to the meeting point, come alone if you can, practise social distancing at the meeting with the driver and then travel directly home.
It should not be necessary for anyone to cross a state border to meet us as we are allowed to cross the Borders in all of the states we operate in to deliver freight.
If the situation changes we will update affected clients directly and will update this page and our posts on Facebook.
The primary effect that Covid-19 is having on our business is that we are receiving much higher numbers of enquiries than usual as the Airlines continue to alter flights schedules and are commonly cancelling flights and bookings. Many people who would normally fly their pets are now using road transport and the effect is that our customer service team cannot keep up at times.
Additionally, please be aware that all our services are generally being fully booked up to 3 weeks ahead. Check our facebook page for more regular updates regarding availablity. Any quotes given should not be taken as an indication that a space is available on your preferred dates.
Due to the nature of the crisis, and our business, Dogmovers is not a business that is under great risk from the spread of the virus itself as we are not involved in large gatherings or have a large static workforce. There is some risk to our office and support staff which we are taking steps to mitigate. Our Drivers are generally on their own most of the time and meet clients for short times only so the personal risk is more limited in that regard but we do require the cooperation of our customers to remain safe.
We ask you to help us observe the following precautions to safeguard yourself, our staff and your pets:
- To reduce the risk of the spread of illness we have stopped accepting cash and ask that all clients pay for their booking by Credit card or EFT payment so that the drivers and clients are not exchanging and handling cash.
- We are no longer requiring signatures when we collect or deliver your animals to further limit contact. However, please be aware that if you make a booking the consignor, consignee and any other party to the verbal contract are deemed to have accepted our transport terms and conditions.
- We ask that clients cancel or postpone their pet transport booking if they or any family members residing with the pet are or have been unwell, have travelled overseas or have come into contact with a person that has tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
- We ask clients living in Lockdown areas, where possible, to have one Family Member come to collect or drop off their pets rather than the whole family.
- Our drivers will be asked to not shake hands or have any unnecessary direct contact with clients and to use disposable gloves at all times during these interactions.
- We may not, in some areas, be accepting Envelopes, parcels or packages to be delivered with your pet. Toys or blankets may still be provided to be placed in the cage but be aware that if/when those become soiled they will be disposed of by the driver.
- We will work closely with all staff to ensure that appropriate measures are in place in the event they become unwell and that we have back up staff available if a staff member is unavailable to complete their trip due to illness.
- We will be limiting Door to Door pick ups and deliveries and where possible all exchanges will occur at pre-arranged, outdoor meeting points.
This situation is new to all of us and we are very mindful that whilst it is concerning, we are doing everything we can to continue to provide quality service to you and your pet and reduce the risk to both our clients and team members. Thank you for your understanding.
We thank you for your continued support and wish you and you family all the best through these difficult times.
Dave, Sierra and the Dogmovers team.